Job ID# 130402 - Communications Manager
The Greenbelt Fund and Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation are non-profit organizations created to support Ontario’s Greenbelt. The organizations fund projects that strengthen the viability and sustainability of agriculture and create a richer, greener and more robust Greenbelt. To do this, they work in partnership with government, industry and NGOs.
Specifically, the Fund works to increase the amount of Ontario food purchased by hospitals, long term care homes, universities, colleges, school boards and other broader public sector institutions. The Foundation works to preserve and enhance the Greenbelt - its farms, green spaces and communities, and engage communities in the upcoming 2015 review of the Greenbelt Plan.
As the Communications Manager, you will take the lead role in providing communications, marketing and media relations support for all aspects of the Fund and its projects. Working closely with the Greenbelt Fund Program Manager and the Greenbelt Foundation Communications Director, you will plan, prioritize, and execute media events and related opportunities to profile successful grantees in the BPS, showcase Local Food Challenge participants and award winners, and raise the profile of the Regional Food Hubs grants program and pilot. Lastly, you will work with the Program Manager to assist in the preparation of reports as required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Execute high quality communications for all aspects of the Greenbelt Fund and its programs, including earned media, which promote the Fund and Foundation’s profile to wide-reaching audiences.
- Establish and adjust benchmarks and indicators for success
- Manage the design, development and dissemination of marketing materials
- Work with grantees to collaborate on/approve communication strategies and materials and ensure these support the goals of both the Greenbelt Fund and the Foundation
- Lead all media opportunities to communicate key grant activities, events and accomplishments
- Create media plans that communicate Greenbelt Fund messaging, and results
- Develop and build relationships with reporters, editors, producers, columnists, etc. in print, television, radio and online media, both mainstream and trade
- Maintain media lists and oversee media tracking and reports on media presence
- Manage all social media efforts for the Greenbelt Fund
- Conduct all other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the communications/public relations field
- Proven ability to manage all aspects of a communications rollout – from strategy to generating media interest
- Skilled in the use and reach of social media tools including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Word and Powerpoint
- Experience with the Media Relations Points system will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of agriculture and/or food procurement will be considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive planning, organization, problem solving, coordination and negotiation skills
- Self-starter, energetic team member
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to establish and manage relationships with multiple media outlets
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback
- Sense of humour
The Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director but will be required to work closely with the Greenbelt Fund Program Manager. This is a contract position that will conclude March 2015. This position will be based in Toronto; however some travel will be required.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Please include salary expectations in your application.
Please send all applications to the attention of the CEO, Burkhard Mausberg at email@example.com. Please include the Job ID and title in the subject line.
We will only be contacting applicants we wish to interview.