Job ID #130403 Education and Outreach Specialist
The Greenbelt Fund is a non-profit organization created to support and enhance the viability, integrity and sustainability of agriculture in Ontario’s Greenbelt and beyond. The Fund works in partnership with government, industry, and NGOs to provide grants and promote local food to the broader public sector.
The Education and Outreach Specialist is part of a team at the Greenbelt Fund responsible to increase the amount of Ontario food purchased by hospitals, long term care homes, universities, colleges, school boards, and other broader public sector (BPS) institutions.
As the Education and Outreach Specialist, you will take the lead role in identifying the need and opportunities for education and training of people working in the BPS foodservice value chain. Working closely with the Fund Program Manager, you will plan and prioritize the delivery of workshops, webinars, and other training events. You will also be responsible to develop and oversee the execution of a project to audit the use of point of sale materials in BPS and Ontario Public Service cafeterias. Lastly, you will work with the Program Manager to identify additional funding sources, and prepare grant applications and reports as required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop an education and outreach plan by
- confirming knowledge and skill needs/gaps and opportunities
- defining objectives
- identifying the most appropriate learning methods/activities to achieve the objectives (e.g. workshops with small group activities and role plays, webinars, podcasts, labs, etc.), with a schedule/timeline and budget
- developing an evaluation plan
- Develop materials and tools to implement the plan (e.g. exercises, handouts, presentations, visual aids, workbooks, etc.)
- Develop materials to market activities in consultation with the Fund Communications Manager
- Manage logistical arrangements for activities and events
- Monitor and evaluate plan implementation on a regular basis
- Prepare reports for internal (ie. senior management, Board of Directors) and external audiences (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food, stakeholders)
- Identify institutional and corporate funding sources
- Prepare grant applications in consultation with the Fund Program Manager
Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrated understanding of food service value chains and food service in the Broader public sector
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of adult education and best practices of various learning methods
- Minimum five years’ experience in development and execution of workshops, seminars, webinars and other leading edge educational methods
- Proven project management experience
- Experience preparing grant applications, reports, newsletters and other written materials
- Proficient in use of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and other audiovisual software
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive planning, organization, problem solving, coordination and negotiation skills
- Self-starter, energetic team member
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to establish and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback
- Sense of humour
The Specialist reports to the Fund Vice President. This is a contract position that will conclude March 2015. This position will be based in Toronto, may work in our satellite office occasionally, and travel will be required.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Please include salary expectations in your application.
Please send all applications to the attention of the CEO, Burkhard Mausberg at email@example.com. Please include the Job ID and title in the subject line of the email.
Deadline for this application is 9am on April 24, 2013
We will only be contacting applicants we wish to interview.