Position: Accountant / Senior Bookkeeper
Type: Part-time position
Organization: Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation (www.greenbelt.ca)
Location: Toronto, Ontario (Downtown)
The Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation has a part-time Accountant / Senior Bookkeeper position available in the operations team. Required number of hours will vary depending on experience, but the estimated range is 16 to 24 hours per week, ideally spread over four weekdays.
We invite applications, including hourly rate expectations, from qualified candidates by 10:00 am on January 25th, 2013.
Scope of work
The Accountant / Senior Bookkeeper will report to the Vice President Communications and Operations and work closely with a guiding team that includes the CEO, VP of Research and Policy, the Program Director and the Communications Director
The Accountant / Senior Bookkeeper will be responsible for helping in the efficient delivery of the Foundation’s financial management and supporting effective office functions in accordance with all policies and procedures of the Foundation. The Accountant / Senior Bookkeeper will execute the following activities, and any other activities required to ensure quality bookkeeping and record keeping:
- maintain superb financial records in QuickBooks
- administer accounts receivable and accounts payable
- work with internal staff to collect, identify, track and report back on expenditures according to our internal tracking system
- prepare journal entries
- general ledger operations
- classify expenses & prepare cheques
- assist with payroll administration
- banking including monitoring and resolving bank issues including fee anomalies and check differences
- account, bank, MasterCard and petty cash reconciliations
- closings and preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports, and design new reports as necessary
- deal with everything from depreciation to adjustments to HST rebates, EHT, LTD, T3010
- lead or assist with preparation and coordination of the audit process and work with the auditor during their annual audit
- assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures
- keep reconciliation records, and quality records for all bookkeeping and accounting files
In addition, the Accountant / Senior Bookkeeper agrees to perform all other duties as assigned by the CEO and VP of Communications and Operations.
The successful candidate will bring:
- advance knowledge of QuickBooks (power user)
- excellent leadership, creative problem solving and research skills
- ability to communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing, in English
- ability to work independently
- ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism
- exceptional organizational and record keeping skills
- ability to keep client matters strictly confidential
- at least 5 years of senior bookkeeping experience in Ontario including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and financial reports
- working knowledge of Ontario taxation, reporting and regulatory requirements
- CGA or other accounting designation is desirable, but not mandatory
- experience working independently and/or for small size firms is an asset
- experience working with not-for-profits and charities is desired
This position is a permanent part-time position located in downtown Toronto near Yonge and Bloor.
Please send a cover letter and resume outlining your interest, qualifications and hourly rate expectations for this position by 10:00 am January 25, 2013.
Or by post:
Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation
661 Yonge Street, Suite 500
Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1Z9
No phone calls please.