The Greenbelt protection has extended to 21 major urban river valleys and 7 coastal wetlands across the Greater Golden Horseshoe - including the Lynde Creek! 

The addition of these waterways to the Greenbelt is an important recognition of the vital role the Greenbelt plays in protecting the hydrological features we rely on for clean drinking water, flood protection, and healthy ecosystems.

The Lynde Creek watershed is situated entirely within the Regional Municipality of Durham and covers an area of approximately 130 km2. Every 5 years Central Lake Ontario Conservation releases a report card to assess the health of the Lynde Creek watershed. Grades around urbanized areas typically decline because of reduced natural vegetation and hard surfaces, such as roads and roofs. Protecting the urban river valleys is very important for our communities health. 

Top facts about the Lynde Creek:

Numbers_1.png

Just over 20% of the Lynde Creek watershed is within an urban areal. The remaining 80% is comprised of the ORM (26%), the Greenbelt (32%), and rural areas (22%).

Numbers_2.png

The Lynde Creek watershed is divided into five subwatersheds: Lynde Main, Heber Down, Kinsale, Ashburn, and Myrtle Station.

Numbers_4.png

There has been a decline in the Lynde Creek watershed since the 2013 Watershed Report Card, receiving a new grade of “D”. The “D” grade is considered “poor”.

Numbers_5.png

In the Lynde Creek watershed, groundwater provides drinking water to some rural residents, and is used in the operation and maintenance of agricultural activities and other rural land uses, including parks and recreation (golf/ski).

Numbers_6.png

The Lynde Creek watershed has predominantly cold/cool water thermal regimes throughout the watershed.

Want to learn more?

Right now, we are working with community groups, municipalities and organizations across the Greenbelt to ensure the urban river valleys and the Greenbelt remain healthy for generations to come.

The Central Lake Ontario Conservation (CLOC) has produced extensive research about the Lynde Creek Watershed.

The CLOC organizes many events to help you learn more about the watershed, or you could check-out our events page.

Banner-SignUp.jpg

Interested in the greenbelt?

Subscribe to e-updates
By entering my email above I consent to receive emails containing information about the Greenbelt and the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation from the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation. I may revoke my consent by unsubscribing.

Want fresh local food?
Find it at Greenbeltfresh.ca
2018 Photo Contest Winners
Check out this year's photo contest winners.
Nature Does It Best
Find out how Green Infrastructure can help improve our communities.
By entering my email above I consent to receive emails containing information about the Greenbelt and the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation from the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation. I may revoke my consent by unsubscribing.