The Living Greenbelt – 2.73 MB
In 2005, the Province established the Greenbelt as a legacy for generations of Ontarians to come. Adding more than 1 million acres of farmland and environmentally sensitive lands to the already protected Niagara Escarpment Biosphere Reserve and the Oak Ridges Moraine, the 1.8 million acre Greenbelt is intended to support multiple objectives including: (i) sustaining and nurturing the agricultural sector; (ii) protecting natural heritage systems; (iii) providing cultural, recreational and tourism opportunities; (iv) supporting viable rural communities; and, (v) ensuring sustainable infrastructure and natural resource practices. This report provides an overview of what is being done by the provincial and municipal governments to advance these objectives.
Sustaining Ontario's Greenbelt – 3.06 MB
Developers, planners and environmentalists can all wave their "whitebelt" flag. A new study shows that the area between the Greenbelt and urban growth boundaries, nicknamed the "whitebelt", contains enough land to accommodate development for several generations.
In fact, expansion plans for the next 20 years in the regions of Durham, York, Peel, Halton, and the City of Hamilton only allow use of approximately 17 per cent of the "whitebelt" for development. This leaves nearly 83 per cent of the "whitebelt", or 120,000 acres of land, untouched until 2031 providing decades of land for housing, industrial and commercial development.
Produced by Ray Tomalty, Ph.D and Bartek Komorowski, MUP at Smart Cities Research Services, this report examines the potential impacts, both positive and negative, of climate change on the long-term viability of the Greenbelt and proposes a suite of measures to adapt to these changes. The main focus is on climate change impacts on the Greenbelt Plan’s main areas of concern: natural heritage, agriculture, recreation, and infrastructure.
The goal of permanently protecting Ontario’s Greenbelt is central to the vision articulated in the Greenbelt Plan.This report documents the experience of greenbelts around the globe and identifies lessons applicable to ensuring the permanence of Ontario’s Greenbelt, which this year achieves a five-year milestone. [The eleventh installment in the Occasional Paper Series presented by the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation.]
"Ontario's Greenbelt in an International Context" authored by Maureen Carter-Whitney
George Morris Centre Study – 3.41 MB
The agri-food industry is becoming increasingly competitive and global. Simultaneously, changing attitudes toward the environment, health and wellness, as well as viewing food as an experience rather than simply sustenance, are motivating consumers to reconnect with the source of the food they choose to consume, in order to verify its authenticity and overall value. A result of this trend is consumers’ increasing interest in local food.
World Foods Local Production – 166 KB
This report was prepared by a team of four graduate students in the planning program at the University of Toronto. It was undertaken as part of the requirements for the Workshop in Planning Practice course during the Fall 2008 term. The report was edited by Ellise Goarley at the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation in 2009.
Holland Marsh is one of two "Specialty Crop Areas in Ontario" and a recognized producer of a significant percentage of the vegetables grown in the province. This paper looks at the land base and agricultural profile of the Marsh, which then forms an economic analysis to calculate the financial contribution that primary production in the Marsh makes to the provincial economy annually. [The tenth installment in the Occasional Paper Series presented by the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation.]
"Holland Marsh Agricultural Impact Study" authored by Planscape Incorporated and Regional Analytics.
Greening the Economy: Economic Stimuli and the Opportunity for Restructuring for Sustainability in Canada
The economy represents both risks and opportunities in terms of advancing environmental sustainability. This paper looks at the current economic situation and its effects on the Canadian environment . [The eighth installment in the Occasional Paper Series presented by the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation.] "Greening the Economy: Economic Stimuli and the Opportunity for Restructuring for Sustainability in Canada" by Mark S. Winfield, Assistant Professor for the Faculty of Environmental Studies at York University.
The focus of this report is on legal, regulatory, and institutional barriers identified through interviews with producers and other stakeholders who are currently participating in, and have knowledge of, the Greenbelt local food economy and supply chains.