What makes a Greenbelt farm successful?
In truth, a lot of different factors. Our newest report, Greenbelt Farmers: Sowing the Seeds of Success, identifies some of the most important by profiling a cross-section of nine successful Greenbelt farms.
An in-depth look at nine farming operations revealed that, despite difference in size, type, and operation style, successful Greenbelt farms have some key qualities in common; each farm we profiled revealed farmers that love what they do, are dedicated and persistent, and take an innovative and personal approach to growing their business.
Read the full report to get an overview of the business orientation, skills, and practices of successful and innovative Greenbelt farmers or follow the links below to find out more about the individual case-studies.
Successful Greenbelt farmer case studies include:
- Beverly Greenhouses, Waterdown – The VanderHouts are reducing their environmental impact while growing their cucumber operations.
- Carncroft Farms, Durham Region – By working collaboratively and sharing both insights and equipment with other producers, the Carnaghans have expanded from its own herd of 150 ewes to an impressive 700 ewe operation collaborating with two other partners.
- Carron Farms Limited, Holland Marsh – A fourth generation family farm drives innovation through re-branding and new product offerings to meet customer interest.
- Cooper’s Farm & CSA, Durham Region – The Coopers have found their niche in direct marketing, and continue to grow and diversify their products and customer experience.
- Greenwood Mushroom Farms, Durham Region - Durham producer has mushroomed into one of the largest enterprises of its kind in Canada, providing 360 local jobs.
- Meyers Fruit Farms, Niagara Region – To stay profitable, family fruit farm evolves and diversifies with the changing times.
- Tigchelaar Berry Farms Inc., Niagara Region – Two brothers succeed by embracing innovation and responding to consumer demand.
- Vineland Estates Winery, Niagara Region – Winery getting better with age: Decades old operation thrives because of its leadership and provides 75 local jobs.