Are you passionate about engaging the public on environmental issues? If you're looking to work with a great team for a good cause, this might just be the career move for you!
The Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation is an independent, charitable organization dedicated to promoting and sustaining Ontario’s Greenbelt. The Foundation supports work to protect and restore our natural environment, strengthen the agricultural sector, and create a pattern of urban settlement that supports the Greenbelt.
The Communications Manager will report to the VP, Communications, and work closely with the Director, Engagement and Digital Strategy and Executive Management team to lead all communications for the Greenbelt Foundation.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Execute high quality communications for all aspects of the Foundation and its programs, including earned media, which promote the Greenbelt and Foundation to wide-reaching audiences
- Lead, plan, project manage and successfully deliver key projects, materials and partnerships including events, marketing materials, website projects, etc.
- Write and edit meaningful content for dissemination including proofing
- Oversee the development and execution of the annual report
- Oversee the annual Friend of the Greenbelt Award event
- Manage relationships with external suppliers, including agencies and advertorial campaign partners
- Oversee strategic media opportunities to advance Greenbelt Foundation strategic priorities
- Create media plans that communicate Greenbelt and Foundation messaging and results
- Develop and build relationships with reporters, editors, producers, columnists, etc. in print, television, radio and online media, both mainstream and trade
- Assist in the managing of issues/crisis communication as required
- Acting as an organizational spokesperson as required
- Participate in and generate proactive media interviews and campaigns
- Identify and disseminate relevant news in a timely manner
- Monitor and achieve departmental benchmarks and indicators for success
- Contribute meaningfully to the development of strategic communications plans and the annual work plan
- Manage the Communications Coordinator, and other internal and external resources to establish work plans, deliverables and goals, managing workflow and conducting an annual review
- Support Foundation government relations, including through the development of communications materials and campaign plans around key issues
- Conduct all other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- Strong writing skills – demonstrated experience producing high-quality writing for a range of audiences with minimal revision.
- Media savvy – passion for news media and understanding of the contemporary news landscape.
- Government relations – working understanding of political and bureaucratic processes provincially and municipally.
- Strategic Planning – experience contributing to development and execution of strategic communications plans will be considered an asset.
- Technological Proficiency – comfortable updating web content, managing contacts and lists for eblasts. Experience working with Nationbuilder will be considered an asset. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite will be considered an asset.
- Policy – proven ability to understand and absorb a range of policy frameworks. Experience with agricultural, environmental and land use policy will be considered an asset.
- A good sense of humour.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The position will be based at our Toronto office (downtown) in a typical office setting. Salary is commensurate with experience. The Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we particularly welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation thanks all applicants for their interest, but only successful candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume by Thursday, February 28 at 5pm through our online portal. Applicants are also encouraged to submit a writing sample.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the submission deadline of Thursday, February 28 and successful candidates will be invited to interview the week of March 4th.