We have exciting news to share! After more than 2 years, 42,000 written submissions, and dozens of public meetings, the new Greenbelt Plan was released by the province in May 2017.
Here are five reasons to celebrate:
- Ontario’s 2-million acre Greenbelt withstood intense pressure and remains permanently protected!
- The Greenbelt grew to include 21 urban river valleys and 7 coastal wetlands – connecting hydrological features in the Greenbelt to Lake Ontario
- Greenbelt farmers have more flexibility on farm and less red tape
- Future urban growth will be more compact and transit-friendly, and use less land
- The critical role of the Greenbelt in fighting climate change has been recognized
This is a landmark moment in the Greenbelt and Greater Golden Horseshoe's (GGH) history, in no small part due to your overwhelming support for a bigger and stronger protected Greenbelt.
Want to know more about the Co-ordinated Review? Need copies of the Plans or background material to get in the know? We've got you covered.
And if you’re not yet on our mailing list, sign up to be a Friend of the Greenbelt, so we can keep you in the loop.