Director of Communications
Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation
The Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation is an independent, charitable organization focused on supporting activities that preserve the environmental and agricultural integrity of Ontario’s Greenbelt Region. We are seeking a Communications Director who is a proven leader, with fresh ideas to develop and conduct dynamic public awareness efforts that highlight the value and significance of Ontario’s Greenbelt.
Scope of Work
The successful candidate will work closely with the CEO, Vice President and Foundation team members to create a best-in-class integrated strategy to lead the Foundation’s marketing and communications towards the goal of maximizing awareness of the Greenbelt and its champions. Moreover, the Director leads fundraising activities that range from organizing effective events to writing funding proposals.
Specifically, the Communications Director will:
- Provide leadership to the Communications team in all respects, including hiring, training, day-to-day management and motivation of communications staff, ensuring professional excellence
- Develop and execute high quality marketing and communications strategies, including earned media, which promote the Greenbelt’s profile to diverse audiences
- Oversee successful Foundation publications and public education events
- Direct the development, production and dissemination of marketing and communication materials from design to copy writing to mailings
- Develop and produce a variety of superior materials for the Foundation’s fundraising activities
- Collaborate with senior managers to assist successful Foundation grant recipients in developing and executing their own communications strategies and campaigns
- Collaborate with senior managers to prepare successful communications tools for their projects
- Manage the Foundation’s web communications, including social, media electronic newsletters, website updates and website maintenance
- Monitor and adjust benchmarks and indicators for success.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- An outstanding track record for generating awareness and recognition of a social good
- Passionate appreciation for protecting the environment and farmland and a commitment to developing audiences about their importance
- Experience with public and media relations; demonstrated ability to plan, organize and manage key functions of communications, including cultivating and maintaining media contacts, and developing and implementing public relations strategies
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage and execute key marketing tools and tactics that deliver measurable results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to present effectively internally and externally from Board level to peers and staff as well as donors and community, business and government leaders
- Superb event organizing skills and successful fundraising record
- High degree of knowledge and track record of innovation using technology for improving awareness and brand appreciation, for tracking performance indicators and for providing a lean and effective department infrastructure
- An action-oriented, confident, articulate personality who is creative, energetic, entrepreneurial, collaborative and team-oriented.
The successful candidate must have a valid Ontario driver’s license with no at-fault accidents in the last three years.
Please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae outlining your (1) interest, (2) qualifications and (3) compensation expectations for this position to:
Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation
661 Yonge Street, 5th floor
The deadline for applications is June 25, 2012. No phone inquiries please.