The Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation values greatly the efforts of a broad range of stakeholders and community partnerships to enhance the Greenbelt. The Funding Program invests in projects that increase environmental and economic returns from the Greenbelt, enhance the health of the Greenbelt's systems, support farmers and foster a sustainable rural economy.
With responsibility for implementing the provincial land use plans, relationships with municipalities will be key to achieving the goals outlined in each funding area, and building complete communities in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
Indigenous communities have strong cultural ties to the Greenbelt’s agricultural and natural landscapes. The Foundation will begin the process of building relationships with Indigenous communities and understand perspectives and interests in relation to the Greenbelt.
In 2018, the Foundation’s Funding Program will support the efforts of charities and non-profit organizations to:
- Promote a sustainable rural and agricultural Greenbelt economy.
- Maintain the integrity of Greenbelt systems for public.
- Support implementation of the Greenbelt Plan and achievement of plan objectives, as well as Growth Plan policies that are directly relevant to achieving the Greenbelt objectives in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
- Restore and enhance Greenbelt systems.
- Protect vulnerable water resources for residents, agriculture and businesses.
The Grant Streams:
Supporting Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Vitality in the Greenbelt.
Working with Nature to Increase Public Benefits from Ontario's Greenbelt and Regional Resiliency.
Supporting Participation in Provincial Consultations Considering the Expansion of Ontario’s Greenbelt.
Funding Program Deadlines:
Applications under the Greenbelt Expansion Consultation Fund are accepted from January 8 – December 2018. Organizations interested in applying to this Fund should contact the Foundation.
The following deadlines apply to the Prosperous Greenbelt and Resilient Greenbelt Funds:
Spring Funding Round:
- Call for Proposals: March 23 - April 10, 2018
- Letters of Intents Due: April 10, 2018
- Decision on Request for Full Proposals by: April 16, 2018
- Full Proposals due: May 4, 2018
- Final Decisions on Applications: June 2018
Fall Funding Round:
- Call for Proposals: September 18-28, 2018
- Letters of Intents Due: September 28, 2018
- Decision on Request for Full Proposals by: October 5, 2018
- Full Proposals due: November 2, 2018
- Final Decisions on Applications: December 2018
Submit a Funding Application:
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must complete an eligibility quiz and provide the information requested in our application process via our grant portal, including details on the project goals and rationale, activities, results, how success will be measured, as well as a full project budget. Please view the Foundation's Grant Guidelines before submitting an application. We encourage all potential applicants to contact the Foundation and discuss your idea prior to submitting a funding request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and (416) 960-0001 ext. 310 to schedule a call with the Grants team.
This project has received funding support from the Government of Ontario. Such support does not indicate endorsement by the Government of Ontario of the contents of this material.